Select your status

Below, we’ve gathered some helpful resident resources and quick responses to any questions you might have. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, please contact us at the main office.


    Air Force Privatization Program

  • What is the Air Force Privatization Program?

    • The Air Force Privatization Program is a government initiative which allows private sector developers to leverage appropriated construction funds and government owned property to own, operate, maintain, improve, and assume responsibility for military family housing.

  • How does privatization affect the service that military members receive?

    • Hunt Companies draws upon their private sector experience to provide first-rate services and amenities to our military families. We pride ourselves in our commitment to customer services and Hanscom Family Housing promises to deliver a product that meets or exceeds the standards in the surrounding community.

  • Basic Allowance for Housing

  • How does military housing privatization affect a service member’s Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)?

    • Privatization does not affect the amount of BAH that is paid to the service member. Prior to privatization, service members did not receive BAH if they lived in military housing. Under the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, all service members choosing to live in privatized military housing receive their BAH and use the BAH to pay the privatized housing provider. The rent payment (usually equal to BAH) will be automatically transferred to Hanscom Family Housing at the end of each month; this process will be performed and monitored by Military Assistance Company, LLC (MAC), the world's largest processor of automatic payroll deductions for military and civil service employees. The BAH is used by the company to maintain and operate the existing housing, as well as to fund the construction of the new houses and amenities.

  • How is an individual’s BAH entitlement and rent allotment determined?

    • The government determines the service member's BAH based on the cost of similar rental property near the base, typical utilities, and his/her rank. An allotment from the service member's account is set up upon lease signing to pay rent.

  • Who is going to process the Service Member’s allotment?

    • Military Assistance Company, LLC (MAC), the world's largest processor of automatic payroll deductions for military, processes military personnel allotments. MAC systems assure payment directly from the Service Member's pay. When the BAH rates are adjusted annually, MAC will automatically update the allotment amounts; it will be a seamless for Service Members. Marine and Coast Guard Members must set up their own allotments.

  • Will BAH be counted as income? Specifically, will it affect the cost of children’s day care?

    • BAH is an entitlement and is not counted as taxable income. However, it will be included in gross income and programs based on an individual's gross income may be affected.

  • Will BAH affect the Service Member’s LES and net pay?

    • No. At the end of each month, the service member's Leave and Earning Statement (LES) will show that BAH has been transferred via an allotment equal to the monthly rent. There should be no changes to the Service Member's net pay.

  • How will rent be paid and what does it cover?

    • Your rent will be automatically paid for you through a third party BAH processor that will work with the DoD Defense Finance Office. Each month you will see the transaction on your Leave and Earnings Statement (LES). The BAH at the with-dependent rate is paid as rent. BAH includes an allowance for rent and utilities.

  • Is rent based on the size of the home or BAH?

    • Rent is based on BAH, which in turn is based on rank, not on the size of the home.

  • How does BAH work for families where both spouses are Service Members?

    • Both Service Members will receive BAH. The senior member will receive it at the with-dependent rate, while the junior member will receive it at the without-dependent rate. Under current Department of Defense rules, only the senior member's BAH at the with-dependent rate will be used to calculate the rent amount, so the family can keep the BAH of the junior member.

  • Lease Signing

  • What kind of lease does Hanscom Family Housing use?

    • The lease is a standard resident agreement used by all privatized military housing and conventional (civilian) rental properties. Residents are required to sign a lease in order to reside in housing. The lease specifies the rights and responsibilities of resident and Owner The lease also sets the service member's BAH as the rent payment.

  • What happens if I earn a promotion during the lease period?

    • In the event of a promotion, the Service Member may request a move to a base house commensurate with his or her new rank. The member’s rent will be increased to match the increased BAH. The move would be voluntary and at the member's expense, and is subject to housing availability.

  • What happens if I’m demoted during the lease period?

    • In the event of a demotion, the Service Member will pay the decreased BAH amount for rent, but must notify the management office in writing.

  • Our Services

  • Who will be performing maintenance service requests for the privatized housing, and will I be charged?

    • Our fully bonded maintenance staff will be resolving all service requests for residents. Hunt Companies provides a 24-hour a day service line where you’ll talk to a real person to provide the details of your request. We will even take care of your request if you cannot take time off from your busy schedule to be in your home. Residents will never be charged for the service performed.

  • How do I contact Maintenance if I have a maintenance service request?


  • Who will be providing security to my neighborhood?

    • The perimeter of the base will remain under military control, including all gate access points. The security procedures in place today will remain in effect. The Police and Fire services will remain the responsibility of the Installation and is paid for by the project.

  • Do I need to mow my own lawn?

    • Yes, all residents are required to mow any fenced in yards. Landscaping services are included for residents without a fence.

  • Am I responsible for snow removal?

    • Snow_Policy.pdf 

      We will first clear all residential roadways, followed by sidewalks, handicapped ramps, and steps of community buildings. Residents are responsible for clearing their respective driveways and walkways from the driveway to the Home. Residents are required to remove their vehicles from the streets and into their respective driveways to facilitate snow removal. It is imperative that all vehicles be removed from the roadways to allow for efficient snow management efforts. Any vehicle parked in the roadways during a snow event is subject to towing at vehicle owner’s expense.

      Deployed families are part of the Heart Program. If your loved one is deployed, please submit a copy of deployment orders prior to a snow storm. During the next storm, we will assist with snow removal efforts.

      See attached map for overflow parking options during parking bans. HAFB_HousingRankDesignation_Exhibit_MASTER3.0.png


  • Resident Guidelines

  • The new guidelines require residents have no more than 2 pets, but current guidelines allow residents 3 pets. Do I have to give my third pet away?

    • No. Those residents who currently have three pets will be allowed to keep all three. Only new residents will be limited to two pets. Those residents who have three pets should inform their Leasing Consultant when they renew their leases; a pet addendum will be included with your lease packet. New residents will be limited to two pets (dog, cat, bird, or fish aquarium).

  • Do you have any breed restrictions?

    • Tenants may not board dogs of any breed including a mixed breed that are deemed "aggressive or potentially aggressive" unless the dog is a certified military working dog that is being boarded by its handler or trainer. For purpose of this policy, aggressive or potentially aggressive breeds of dogs are defined as a Pit Bull (American Staffordshire Bull Terrier or English Staffordshire Bull Terrier), Rottweiler, Presa Canarios, Doberman Pinscher, Chow Chow, Akitas, Mastiffs, Great Danes, Alaskan Malamutes, and wolf hybrids. Please call our office at 781-745-1800 for further breed restrictions.

  • What are the requirements for vacating a home?

    • Written notice is required 30 days prior to your lease expiration date and should be given at your management office as soon as you are aware of your moving arrangements.

  • General Questions

  • What is the shed policy for new homes? Existing homes?

    • Existing sheds are grandfathered. Sheds for new homes are not allowed without prior written approval from the management office.

  • What is the satellite policy for new homes? Existing homes? .

    • Satellites on existing homes, erected prior to the transition to privatized housing, will be grandfathered. Satellites on other existing homes and new homes are not allowed without prior written approval from management.

  • Can I have a home business?

  • Can I have a home business?

    • Residential_Business_Request.pdf

      All home businesses require prior written approval. Once approved, all business can promote their business with placing their business cards in a holder mounted in the Leasing Office.